Monday, June 2, 2008

An Open Letter to Stephanie Meyer

Here is the first draft of a letter I am planning to send to Stephanie Meyer (the author of the Twilight Series). I would love your comments and feedback.

Warning: The following contains Twilight Spoilers.

Dear Ms. Meyers,

I recently read Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse. These books were recommended highly by a wide variety of people and since I finished all three in less than a week, there was obviously much about them I enjoyed. However, I have a serious concern that I would like to bring to your attention. It seems to me that both New Moon and Eclipse send the message that threatening suicide is somehow a romantic and acceptable way to demonstrate love. This theme is especially troubling to me since these books are marketed toward teenagers (an age group that is already at risk for suicide).

In New Moon, Bella purposely puts herself in life-threatening situations so that she can hear Edward,s voice. In other words, she is trying to hurt herself because a boy broke up with her and that is the only way she can get his attention. Not only that, but Bella nearly lets herself drowned because “at least then she will no longer feel the pain of not being with Edward” (I need the exact quote- does anyone have it?). Is this the message you would like to send to impressionable teenage girls?

If Bella were the only one to set this dramatic example, I would not be so concerned. However, Edward actually does attempt to commit suicide. When he thinks that Bella is dead, he tries to get the Volturi to kill him. To make matters worse, the narrater actually seems to think that this gesture is a noble demonstration of Edward’s love for Bella. Come on! Suicide is not a demonstration of love. It is a selfish, stupid, irreversible decision. And I think it is morally irresponsible to write a book targeted toward teens that portrays it any other way.

But it gets worse. In Eclipse, Jacob threatens to kill himself if Bella does not kiss him. So, of course, she kisses him in order to save his life. The logical message here is that if Bella had not given into Jacob’s demands, it would have somehow been her fault that he died. This is not true. And I wouldn’t want my teenage daughter thinking that she has to do whatever a boy says just because he has threatened to kill himself.

Ms. Meyers, I know you can’t go back and change your already published novels but I am hoping that this letter will prevent you from continuing to glorify suicide in the future. And I also think that it would be responsible of you to address the inappropriateness of the character’s actions in some sort of forum. I just worry that some of your devoted fans will take the message of your novel too far.

Sincerely,

6 comments:

princess jen said...

Good letter Taylor!
Since I (still) haven't gotten around to reading these books I can't help you out with the quotes. I remember so well being a teenager in the throes of love and feeling like I would die if said love continued to be unrequited. And I know I journaled about killing myself and like many teenaged girls actually attempted, although not super seriously, suicide. When you add a very popular book to the mix that seems to glorify and make it okay, it is troublesome. Especially for girls who are brave enough to say no in a sexually charged situation. For a boy to threaten suicide to get his way and then if something were to happen, the guilt is already there and then compounded by popular literature! (I'm not sure if I'm making sense at this point so I'll stop writing...)

Jenny said...

I see tons of parallels between these books and Romeo and Juliet, which was her intent from what I've read from her interviews. I think that's where she's gleaning all of her melodramatic situations, but the audience for her books and Shakespeare's literature is vastly different. Shakespeare is full of suicide, but Stephenie Meyer is no Shakespeare.

I think it goes back to the old argument about whether books and television alter a person's behavior. These books would no more have pushed me to suicide as a teenager than Romeo and Juliet, but I didn't have those tendencies. I think there should be some responsibility by parents as to what their kids are reading.

Honestly, when I saw that this was a letter to Stephenie Meyer, I was thinking you were going to write about how screwed up Bella was and how completely lopsided her relationship with Edward is. They are not in love. They are in lust. That's what bothered me most. All this portrayal of true love when it's all based on the fact that she thinks he's hot and he thinks she smells delicious. Nothing about their relationship is true or lasting.

I get angry reading those books. Sure, they are fast-paced and exciting. I really, really like Jacob, but he's the only one I think is half-way decent. But then again, he loves Bella so what does that say about his character?

Ms. Meyer better redeem her books in the fourth one, is what I think. Good luck with the letter.

Alan J said...

Even before i read the comments, my first thought was that somebody had better dig up ole Will so we can chew him out too. If Romeo & Juliet isn't geared towards teenagers, then name my a teenager who wasn't forced to read it in high school. Nobody has to read the twilight series, pretty much everybody has to read Romeo & Juliet. (Don't get me started about how stupid i think that particular work is). But the bottom line is, we really can't get mad at authors who are simply trying to emulate the "greats". Suddenly it's okay for Shakespeare to do it, but no one else? Who draws the line. Along the same lines, an author or writer or whatever could never introduce any characters that are flawed because it might send the wrong message to the reader. But that's probably also why i hate "tragic heroes" (or whatever they're called). It all goes back to whether we're actually influenced by the movies we watch, the books we read or the games we play. i think we like to make the argument that some people are, but not us. Sure, i can watch Juno because i'm smart and not affected by the glamorization of teen pregnancy, but other people shouldn't be allowed to watch baby mama because it ridicules surrogacy. When it suits are cause, we'll argue for or against whatever we want.

Taylor said...

I'm embarrassed to admit it but I hadn't thought of the Romeo and Juliet similarities. duh! and I really hate to say it but Alan makes some really good points and has made me decide not to send the letter. Author's should be able to write about flawed characters.

I guess I am just overly sensitive to suicide (for some unknown reason). and I think part of the reason I was so annoyed is that i keep hearing people say how "wholesome" the series is because the characters don't have premarital sex. I guess I just feel that there are worse (manipulative threats of suicide) examples to set.

kalila said...

Hey this is kalila pyfrom, ms meyer please write me back or contact me , *03 729 4318, i have a idea for a new twilight book after breaking dawn and i would like for you to hear it.

Anonymous said...

Dear, Stephenie Meyers. I've read and watched breaking dawn over and over againg. I would like to say the book and the movie are amazing. You have inspired me to read and write. I was always a dork for books ,but know I am interested in publishing a book of my own. Really what i wanted to say there is a part for Taylor (Jacob) that just maid me wonder what will hapen to him and reneesme? For starters she's half vamp and human ,and jacob is a wolf?? I would like to know if you where ever thinking of making a book for just reneesme and jacob??
Sincerly, Twilight Fan, A........