Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Unattended Children

Here's the question: Have you ever left your child unattended in a vehicle for any length of time?

I have. I've left kids in the car while I run inside to pick up/drop off Anya. I've left them (with Anya/PJ "supervising") while I ran into the post office or into a friend's home. I never leave the vehicle unlocked. I take the keys with me. I'm not gone longer than 5 minutes. Could something happen in those 5 minutes? I'm sure something could. I guess I "play the odds." I don't think this makes me a bad parent. And I don't think I should go to jail, like this mom.

What are your thoughts?

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I have. And every time I've done it, I've felt horribly guilty. I do the same, leaving a bigger kid "in charge" and locking the doors behind me. But I'm always afraid of what someone would do, like call the police or something. The last time I was tempted, I just brought everybody in with me and then thought, "That wasn't as big a deal to bring them all in as I thought. I have to just quit being lazy and bring them inside so their mother doesn't end up as a jailbird."

Taylor said...

I have but only in our own driveway (like if I forgot to lock the door or turn off the oven or something like that)