Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Secret Life of Bees

I just finished reading this amazing book called The Secret Life of Bees. It touched me deeply as it explored a girl searching for remnants of her mother's life in Civil Rights Amendment-era South Carolina.

After I finished the book, my brain kept thinking... Lily Owens fell in love with a black boy, an absolutely terrible thing to do in that time period. And I started to wonder what the difference between interracial relationships pre-Civil Rights and homosexual relationships now? Both have been/are villified. The only real difference I can see is that one can naturally produce children and the other cannot. Should this be a basis for discrimination? There are many, many heterosexual couples who also cannot naturally produce children. Should they be villified as well?

I know this is a hot-button issue, especially in the LDS community. What is your opinion?

5 comments:

Jenny said...

I don't think it's right to persecute anyone. You can disagree with someone, but you should never actively make their life miserable.

Taylor said...

First of all, I really loved the Secret Life of Bees too.

Secondly, are you wanting to discuss homosexuality, or same-sex marriage? Because I think they require different arguments.

princess jen said...

The point of discussion is relationships. In the past, interracial relationships/marriage were more than frowned upon. In some places they were illegal. Some people saw them as immoral. Today we are in a similar place with homosexual relationships/marriage. I personally believe that marriage is ordained of God and as such, the marital relationship is between a man and a woman. However, I see no problem with civil unions, etc. that provide the same legal benefits to a couple that a traditional marriage provides (i.e. hospital rights, health insurance benefits, etc.).

Grandma and Opa said...

A discussion on same-sex marriage as opposed to same-sex civil unions. That is a fine line. Do you then believe that a civil union should not have children in the relationship?

princess jen said...

This is difficult for me. My church teaches that a child has a right to be reared in a home with a mother and a father. I believe this is divine inspiration. I think mothers and fathers provide different things to their children and each has an important role in the family.
However, I struggle because so many children are born into homes where there is no love, where there is abuse and degradation and I think love is the most important thing a child can have. If a same-sex home provides that love, how can it be bad for a child. There are so many people living in untraditional lifestyles--some due to choice and some not. There are single parents, widows/ers, divorces, single adoptive parents, grandparents raising children and extended families consisting of unrelated friends. But love needs to be there.
And so I continue to struggle.